Welcome to the MUCC Website!
April is National Safe Digging Month
With the arrival of spring, excavation projects have begun and bring a perfect opportunity to remind others to “Call Before You Dig.” April is National Safe Digging Month to raise awareness and promote safe digging across the country. The MUCC members would like to thank you for working safely around utilities and encourage you and your crew to continue your safe excavation practices.
Through increasing awareness, National Safe Digging Month can help assure that:
- No one is injured
- The environment is not harmed
- No property is damaged
- Utility service is not interrupted
Did You Know?
- Approximately 170,000 underground utility lines are struck each year in the U.S.
- One out of every three incidents is caused by someone who did not contact their state one call center or 811 before digging.
- Utilities are sometimes buried only a few inches underground making them easy to strike even during shallow digging projects.
Here Are Some Ways You Can Help:
- Contact GSOC or call 811 before beginning any digging project whether your project is simple landscaping work such as planting a tree or a more complex excavation project
- If a family member or neighbor is planning a digging project, remind them to contact GSOC or call 811 two business days before beginning.
- Remember that pipeline companies should be on site when excavating in close proximity to ensure the integrity and by enhancing the safety of your crew and the public.
Don’t forget to: Call Before You Dig, wait the required amount of time for lines to be marked, respect the marks and dig with care.
Have a safe and damage free excavation season.